Transportation Generalist- Construction/Snow & Ice
Transportation Generalist- Construction/Snow & Ice
Positions may be available in the following Construction Offices: Duluth, Grand Rapids and/or Virginia
NOTE: THIS POSTING REPRESENTS MULTI-LEVEL POSTINGS. IF THESE POSITIONS ARE NOT FILLED BY QUALIFIED APPLICANTS AT THE TRANSPORTATION GENERALIST SENIOR LEVEL, THE POSITIONS WILL BE FILLED AT THE TRANSPORTATION GENERALIST LEVEL.
Examples of work for this specific vacancy at the Transportation Generalist level include but are not limited to:
• Obtains representative samples of bituminous, concrete, aggregate, grading and base materials and performs appropriate tests to ensure quality assurance.
• Performs the construction materials acceptance tests (such as gradations, density, air, beam, cylinder and slump) in the field as required to ensure quality of materials.
• Reads and interprets plans and specifications to ensure contractor compliance.
• Checks the dimensions and tolerances of constructed roadway features to ensure conformance to plans and specifications.
• Measures, computes and documents pay items to ensure proper payment for work done under the contract.
• Performs and implements inspection processes so that test failures are corrected.
• Monitors the work of contractor personnel to ensure compliance with established processes, practices, and specifications.
• Assists the Plant Monitor to ensure materials meet specifications and requirements.
• Assists in developing and designing elements for construction plans to ensure MnDOT, AASHTO, and FHWA standards are met.
WHY WORK FOR US
We offer excellent employee benefits, such as low-cost health and dental insurance, and affordable dependent coverage. Other benefits include:
11 paid holidays per year
Earn up to 29 paid vacation days a year
Earn 13 days paid sick time
Defined pension plan
Paid life insurance
Short & long-term disability available
We are driven to find talented, innovative employees for Minnesota's nationally recognized transportation system. We work to build the best team in the transportation industry to ensure that Minnesota thrives with a safe, sustainable and leading edge transportation system. You will be surrounded by a diverse community of experts, each driven by challenging work and motivated by the greater good. You will understand the impact of the work you are doing and be able to see the benefit you are providing to the citizens of Minnesota. You can set your sights high and use your strengths to grow within the organization. MnDOT offers superior health and retirement benefits as well as a solid commitment to work-life balance, which provides you the tools to thrive both at work and outside of work.
The level of experience to perform this job at the Transportation Generalist Senior level can be achieved with:
Two years of experience performing contract administration (roadway and/or bridge construction) activities or related activities;
A combination of one year of experience in any of the following areas may substitute for one year of performing contract administration (roadway and/or bridge construction) activities: bridge maintenance, bridge safety inspection, design, hydraulics, materials, soils, permits, planning, pre-design, right of way, road surface/roadside maintenance, signs, surveys, snow/ice, and/or traffic engineering.
Note: A Two year Civil or Construction Technology Degree or the following four year degrees: Architectural, Civil or Mechanical Engineering; Land Surveying / Geomatics; or equivalent may substitute for one year of experience. (In order for education coursework to be considered in lieu of work experience you must submit a copy of your transcripts).
Working knowledge of English sufficient to read, write, speak and understand oral and written information; communicate with employees and the general public in-person or via two-way radio and other electronic devices; and to maintain routine written logs and simple records.
Have and maintain a valid Class B Commercial Driver's License with tanker endorsement and no air brake restriction (or the ability to obtain within 6 months from dates of hire).
Certification(s) in one or more of the following. (Must have ability to obtain all required certifications within 12 months from date of hire):
Grading and Base I
Bituminous Street I
Bituminous Plant I
Concrete Field I
Concrete Plant I
Exam Part 2:
Bidders from other functional areas will be invited to take a computerized math & reading assessment test. The required passing score for the math portion is a level 5 or higher and the reading portion is a level 5 or higher. Acceptance of the bid is contingent on passing the math and reading assessment.
APPLY ONLINE BY 7/30/2021:
- Go to www.mn.gov/careers/
- Click "External Applicants".
- On the Job Search, enter the Job Opening ID 43440 in the Keywords search box and click Search.
- Click on the Job Title to view the job posting.
- Click Apply.
- When prompted for your Referral Source, please list: Internet Job Board - Minnesota Jobs
Only applicants received on mn.gov/careers/ will be considered.