Human Services Technician – Direct Support Specialist
Job Class: Human Services Technician
Working Title: Direct Support Specialist
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 04/01/2021
Closing Date: 09/30/2021
Hiring Agency: Department of Human Services
Division/Unit: Direct Care and Treatment Services / Community Based Services
Work Shift: Rotating
Work Hours: Varies
Days of Work: Varies
Travel Required: No
Salary Range: $15.25 - $24.19/hourly, $31,142 - $50,509 yearly
Classified Status: Classified
Work Area: Cloquet and Grand Rapids, MN
Connect 700 Program Eligible : Yes
This posting will be used to fill positions in Cloquet and Grand Rapids, MN. During the application process you will be able to choose your preferred locations. If you are interested in locations not listed above, please refer to the State Careers website for availability.
Every person needs the support of others. Minnesota Department of Human Services is looking for person-centered, caring people to support individuals with intellectual disabilities, mental illness, brain injury, and other emotional, behavioral, and medical complexities. Our goal is to ensure the people we serve achieve their highest quality of life and personal growth. As a Direct Support Specialist, you will be a member of a team who helps provide essential services to Minnesota's most vulnerable residents. On a day-to-day basis, this position will:
- Assist individuals when needed in the performance of work, recreation, and activities of daily living
- Lift, move, or position non-ambulatory or ambulatory individuals
- Administer medications, implement instructions, and act accordingly as directed
- Respond to medical emergencies, including first aid and CPR
- Transport and accompany individuals to medical appointments, community outings, recreational activities, and spiritual events
- Respond therapeutically to individuals with challenging behaviors
We are currently looking for flexible and dedicated people to join our team for a range of positions on a permanent, part-time, intermittent (on-call), or temporary basis. Shifts will be rotating (day/evening) or overnight. Direct Support Specialists that work 20 or more hours per week are eligible for benefits such as insurance, vacation and sick leave, and more.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Current and valid driver's license
- Basic math skills
- Clear communication skills
- Basic computer skills
- Our employees are dedicated to ensuring cultural responsiveness. Preferred candidates will have a variety of experiences working effectively with others from different backgrounds and cultures.
Additional Requirements To facilitate proper crediting, please ensure that your resume clearly describes your experience in the areas listed and indicates the beginning and ending month and year for each job held.
REFERENCE/BACKGROUND CHECKS - The Department of Human Services will conduct reference checks to verify job-related credentials and criminal background check prior to appointment.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email email@example.com . Please indicate what assistance you need.